Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Brrrrrrrrroston part 2: Massachusetts General Hospital

After a brisk moonlit morning stroll in arctic conditions, I stopped at MGH where I gave a talk and resident conference, caught up on some personal work, and hung out with some more of abdominal imaging’s elite. I ran into SAR members Peter Hahn, Dushyant Sahani, Debra Gervais, Jim Brink (Chair), and Sheela Agarwal to name a few.

Some of the stellar Abdominal Imagers at MGH. Sheela Agarwal, Deb Gervais, Dushyant Sahani, and Peter Hahn 

It was fun and educational to see the Abdomen Division in action, particularly at their daily afternoon teaching and QA conference. For once I didn’t mind being the dumbest person in the room, as these guys were all so willing to share their knowledge. Dushyant spent some time enlightening me on dual energy CT applications in the abdomen (e.g. he loves it for pancreatic mass detection), and I hope to tap into his knowledge when UT Southwestern’s new multi-energy/spectal CT scanner gets approved for human use (coming soon). It was clear that not everyone at MGH was as excited as Dushyant about the added value of dual energy and that a healthy rivalry between the MR and CT camps existed. Fortunately, most disputes were settled by cordially agreeing to disagree and then keying each other’s cars after work. I just hope that the CT guys at MGH never find out about what the MR guys have been doing to their coffee when they’re not looking. I doubt they’ll find out from reading my blog. The impact factor is too low.

Depite the cold, it was a beautiful morning to walk to MGH


The MGH residents made short work of my unknown cases, which didn’t come as a surprise given the vast array of complex and interesting cases they see on a daily basis. I should have listened to them when I was warned that it wouldn't be a good idea to walk home given the plunging temperature and wind chill. Even Chuck Norris would've put on long pants for the two mile up-wind trek back to my hotel. Then again, Chuck Norris probably would've made the hotel come to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment