Friday, February 6, 2015

Brrrrrrrrroston part 3: Boston University Medical Center

The last stop on my Boston tour was Boston University Medical Center. There, SAR member Jorge Soto and colleagues gave me a warm welcome despite the record low subzero temperatures outside. 
It was so cold that day, the public schools closed to prevent putting Boston’s youth into cryogenic stasis. 

Once defrosted, the BU residents proved to be formidable case-takers and gracious hosts. They also proved to be fun and interesting dinner companions and excellent judges of wine (one of the perks of being a BU chief resident is that you get to choose the wine at visiting professor dinners). I found the idea of having so many residents join in the faculty dinner refreshing. I also appreciated that they let me pass on the opportunity to spend the remainder of the evening touring some of Boston’s finest pubs out of pity. 

Andrew Tanenbaum, Milos Janicek, Jeffrey Gussenberg, Jorge Soto, Kira Melamud, Trevor Morrison, Robert Ruef

Before I left, Jorge graciously gave me a signed copy of the book he co-authored, Problem Solving in Emergency Radiology, a must read for any resident before taking call.


For those of you who don’t know him, Jorge is a gem of a person. He taught me that smart and nice are not mutually exclusive. When Jorge speaks, Chuck Norris listens.


In the end, even record cold temperatures couldn’t squelch the educational exchange that typifies a trip to Boston’s elite medical centers. My only regret is that I didn’t have sufficient time to squeeze in a visit to Beth Israel Deaconess (where SAR member Johnny Kruskal is Chair of Radiology). On the other hand, it doesn’t hurt to have a reason to go back- preferably in the summer! 

BTW, Johnny Kruskal only got the Chair at BID because Chuck Norris turned it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment